We’ve enjoyed this soup for years and years! It’s a recipe given to me by a fellow foodie friend that has a love for amazing food just like I do. Seriously, everything she makes is amazing and full of a love for food, you can just taste it in things she makes. This recipe is no exception and she gave me her permission to add it to our blog with our few changes to make it paleo friendly!! So it finally got the paleo make-over this year.
It took just a couple simple steps and seriously you can hardly tell the difference. We roast the red bell peppers and use our own homemade basil pesto instead of jarred varieties the original recipe called for and then we also use homemade bone broth, but in a pinch you can certainly use a good organic boxed variety.
This recipe makes quite a bit, so if you plan on doubling it be sure to use a large stock pot! But most importantly…enjoy every single bite, because it’s gonna have your taste buds asking for seconds and thirds!! Oh and also…be sure to make some of our cassava flour pita chips ahead of time so you can enjoy those with this soup…they are a perfect match!!
creamy Tuscan tomato soup
a paleo version of the best tomato basil soup you’re ever gonna need!
- Heat olive oil in 6-8 quart pan and add onions, and cook stirring occasionally until onions are a golden brown and have caramelized…don’t skip this, the caramelized onions add such a warm flavor to this soup.
- Once onions are caramelized, add tomatoes, bone broth and roasted red peppers, reduce heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add pesto and puree with an immersion blender or in small batches in a blender, but please be careful if using a blender…hot liquids can burn!!
- Stir in coconut milk, salt and pepper and adjust if necessary.
- Garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk, grated Parmesan cheese (if tolerated) and our crispy pita chips.