This artichoke dip has been a family favorite around the holidays for many years and I finally decided it needed a paleo makeover! The results were pleasant and the taste is so reminiscent of the original dish I’m guessing not many will know it’s been tweaked! I even found some organic/non-GMO artichokes to use! #winning
The original recipe had cream cheese in it – which our tummies around here to tolerate, but we don’t like to over due it! Especially because we also make green onion cheese balls for the holidays and so the dairy intake does go up, so I just wanted to minimize the intake if I could. If you do want to try the recipe the way it is originally made, simple sub the coconut cream out for 8oz of cream cheese and increase the mayo to a full cup. Easy peasy! The recipe does call for ¼ c parmesan cheese, which can totally be left out if you need to.
Besides the dip getting a makeover, I also decided to make some yummy crackers to go with it, so you can find that new recipe for our rosemary sea salt crackers here, because you need crackers for this luscious dip!
bubbly artichoke dip
nearly Paleo perfect bubby artichoke dip
- cream from the top of a can of coconut milk that has been refrigerated overnight
- ½ c homemade mayo made with Chosen Foods avocado oil – or store bought
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- juice of half a lemon
- 14 oz marinated artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- ¼ c black olives
- ¼ c chopped green onion + additional for garnish (opt)
- ¼ c parmesan cheese (opt)
- pinch of chipotle chili powder
- Redmond Real Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Combine the coconut cream, mayo, eggs and lemon juice in food processor and whirl until well combined.
- Toss in artichoke hearts, olives, green onions, cheese (if using), chipotle powder and salt & pepper…whirl till you have the desired texture you want. Pulse just a few times if you want a chunkier dip, if you like it all smooth…whirl away until you have a creamy texture. Don’t go too far though…or you will have a artichoke smoothie!
- Pour into a small casserole dish, top with additional cheese and green onions if desired and bake for 35-40 minutes until it’s all bubbly and the center is set.
- Remove from oven and let it cool slightly before serving, it will firm up a bit as it cools.
- Before serving, top with additional chopped green onions and serve with our amazing rosemary sea salt crackers!