Sharing an enchilada sauce from our ebook, Paleo Olé – we’re certain it will absolutely become one of your most favorite sauces. If you have any leftover after making enchiladas, stir some up with a bit of mayo and you’ve got a tasty salad dressing on your hands as well!
tomatillo enchilada sauce
scrumptious paleo tomatillo enchilada sauce
- 1 lbs tomatillos
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ½ medium sweet onion, peeled cut into ¾” wedges
- 1 tbl avocado oil
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper
- 1 cup chicken bone broth
- 2 handfuls of cilantro, seperated
- 1 tsp Redmond Real Salt
- chipotle chili powder (opt)
- juice of ½ lemon
- juice of ½ lime
- Remove papery skin from tomatillos and rinse off, place them on baking sheet (whole) along with the garlic (skins on), onion and pepper. Drizzle avocado oil on top, and, with your hands, coat all ingredients with the oil.
- Place under your broiler till everything is blistered!
- Once they are cool enough to touch, cut the stems out of the tomatillos, remove skin from garlic, and cut stem off the pepper. Add those items along with the onions and any juices from the baking tray into a medium sauce pan.
- Add chicken broth, 1 handful of cilantro, salt, chipotle chile powder (if using), and lemon & lime juice. Stir to combine and let simmer for 12-15 minutes or until thickened up a bit.
- Purée with immersion blender til smooth, finely chop up the other handful of cilantro and stir to combine. Taste and add more salt or lime juice if needed.