We LOVE salsa! Red, green, hot, mild, zesty, chunky, smooth…all sorts!!! So many different types to enjoy! We dip in it with our home fried plantain chips, pour it all over tacos, tostones, taco salads, eggs…yep, you get the idea! We enjoy it on LOTS of things. A friend of mine recently brought a tomatillo salsa to a church event we were attending and it was soooo amazing! I asked her if she would share the recipe with me, which she did. I knew that I had to adapt it with a few real ingredients so we could enjoy it without any nagging tummy issues. After a couple tries, I think we’ve hit all the right flavor profiles! It’s smooth, yet tangy and depending on how much heat you add, can really make your nose run!! Dare you not to want to put it on everything!!!
If you want it REALLY spicy…don’t remove the veins and seeds of the jalapeños – this will give it a great kick. Which we like…well most of us anyways. Maybe start with just adding the seeds and veins from 1 of the jalapeños and go from there. You could also omit the chipotle chili powder, however this gives it a smokey flavor that we enjoy!
tangy tomatillo salsa
- 4-5 tomatillos, leafy skins removed, washed & roughly chopped
- 3-4 jalapeños, roughly chopped (removed veins and seeds for less heat)
- 2½ t redmond real salt
- 2 ripe avocados, roughly chopped
- ⅓ c white vinegar
- ¼ c white onion, roughly chopped
- handful of cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic
- ⅛ c avocado oil (olive oil could also be used)
- ½ t chipotle chili powder
- juice of 5-6 limes
- juice of ½ a lemon
- Toss everything into a blender or food processor…blend til’ everything is well combined! Taste and adjust salt if necessary.
- Grab some plantain chips and dip away!! Or maybe even just a spoon and slurp away…it’s that good!!!