Our journey in the grain free baking world changed significantly about three years ago when Otto’s Cassava Flour hit the market…um, life changing! First thing we made was tortillas…obvious first choice, we LOVE tacos!
Second thing attempted was muffins, it was more challenging and has taken some time to perfect some of our beloved recipes passed down from my mother in law. Our best so far has been our banana chocolate chip muffin…it’s a blog favorite and is absolutely amazing. Don’t get me wrong, there’s been plenty of other recipes created/recreated and developed, but muffins are near and dear to our family. It’s literally a “family thing” – you can read more about why on our post for our pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe…which will also be getting a remake soon!
OK, back to these chocolate peppermint muffins, here’s the deal. We already have a chocolate muffin recipe on the blog, BUT…it’s got a few extra ingredients that make it kind of clunky in terms of tossing together like you should be able to with a muffin recipe. So, this new version only uses one flour…that’s it! Cassava flour, no other starches/flours/fillers! No need to run to the local market for something you don’t have on hand already.
If you want just a plain chocolate muffin, simply leave out the peppermint oil….want nuts in it, by all means toss some in…more chocolate chips, do it! Your preference here!
chocolate mint muffins
cassava flour paleo chocolate muffins
- 1½ cups Otto’s Cassava Flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp Redmond Real Salt
- 2 scoops Further Food Collagen Peptides
- ¾-1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup raw milk buttermilk*, room temperature (or full fat coconut milk buttermilk)
- 1 cup maple sugar
- ½ c grass fed butter (or ghee), melted
- 10 tbls cocoa powder
- 2 tbls Chosen Foods avocado oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 15-20 drops doTERRA peppermint essential oil (can sub peppermint extract)
- Preheat oven to 385° and line muffin tin with parchment liners.
- In a large bowl combine, cassava flour, baking soda, salt and collagen…whisk to combine…toss in chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and maple sugar…whisk to combine and aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine melted butter (ghee), cocoa powder and avocado oil…whisk to combine & make sure all cocoa is dissolved and it’s a beautiful chocolatey mixture. Just something about melted chocolate!!!
- Whisk buttermilk/maple sugar one more time to make sure all the sugar is dissolved and it is basically all liquid. Pour this into the chocolate mixture and whisk well.
- Add eggs, vanilla and peppermint essential oil to this chocolate/milk mixture and whisk really well so that all the eggs are well incorporated and the whole mixture is combined.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine with a spatula cleaning the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure you get all the dry ingredients mixed in.
- Scoop into prepared muffin tins and bake for 20-22 minutes or until center of muffin springs back when touched. *add 1 tbls fresh lemon juice to a measuring cup and then pour in enough milk to get 1 cup, let it set for at least 5 minutes. Same process for coconut milk.