Because the frosting we came up with for our pumpkin cookies was just so good it had to be enjoyed with some chocolate…duh! These are such an amazing Paleo treat…which of course should probably be enjoyed only on occasion…like the holidays! But, completely paleo in all the ingredients and the #treatyourself goodie to keep on hand all year long for a little bit of self love. Yep, they’re totally in that category…decadent yet clean ingredients so you’ll feel pretty “guilt free” about enjoying one on occasion. The real star of this treat is that beautiful Redmond Real Salt Kosher Salt sitting up on top. It balances all the sweetness of the fudge right out and helps your taste buds hit all the right notes in one simple bite!
They’re also wonderful to share! So make a double batch and keep some on hand in your freezer and put a few in little boxes or cellophane bags and make someone else’s taste buds extremely happy!
dark chocolate penuche fudge cups
penuche fudge filled cups of dark chocolate happiness
- Make the penuche fudge frosting ahead of time with a full 2 cups of maple powdered sugar. You’ll want it a bit stiffer than you would for frosting. Store in refrigerator as it’s easier to roll into balls when it’s chilled.
- Melt chocolate chips & coconut oil slowly over a double broiler, stirring well to incorporate together.
- Line muffin tins with parchment liners. If you’re making the standard size you’ll probably get 6-8 and if you’re making the mini size, you’ll need to line 10-12.
- For standard size, spoon 1 tbl of melted chocolate in the bottom of cups, for the mini’s spoon 1 tsp in the bottom of the cups. Freeze for about 5-10 minutes. You don’t need them completely hard, just firm enough to hold up the fudge.
- While chocolate bottoms are in the freezer, remove penuche fudge from the refrigerator and roll into balls to fit the size cups you’re making. (if you want to add nuts to the filling, now is the time!) Standard, you’ll need about 1 – 1½ tsp of fudge – for the mini’s use about a third of that. If you want more filling, please adjust to your pleasure!
- Remove chocolate bottoms from freezer, flatten fudge ball into a disc and place in the center of the chocolate, spoon more melted chocolate over the top until you have a flat surface and that fudge is all covered up! Repeat with remaining fudge and chocolate.
- Set back in freezer for another 5-10 minutes till the chocolate is slightly set (this will vary depending on which size you’re making) remove them and sprinkle some Kosher salt up on top, and chopped nuts if using! If you do this too soon, all that gorgeous salt will dissolve into the chocolate! So if you want to keep it on top…wait just a bit!
- Set back in freezer until set and then they’re ready to enjoy at this point! Remove from freezer and let them set out a bit before trying to bite into one. Especially if you’ve made the standard size, they’ll require just a few minutes to thaw before the are “take a bite-able” – also, they’re super fun to share!