The last of our 2016 holiday flavored mini donuts is also a very classic flavor, whether it’s gingerbread, ginger snap, ginger ale, gingerbread houses or cookies…one sniff and you’re in the holiday spirit!
We found some crystalized ginger that does contain a small amount of refined sugar, but we used it pretty sparingly, so will indulge a bit in this recipe, it just adds such a nice taste as well as a visual extra to the coating after they’re baked.
gingerbread mini donuts
paleo ginger bread mini donut amazinginess
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the cassava flour, baking powder, ginger and salt – set aside.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, add softened butter & coconut sugar and mix until fluffy with an electric mixer. 3.Add maple syrup, coconut milk, molasses & egg to butter mixture and mix till well combined.
- Add flour mixture to liquid & mix until all ingredients are combined, batter will be thick which is perfect for filling your donut maker or tray.
- We use a plastic bag with the tip cut off to pipe our batter into our donut maker, you can also use a pastry bag…whichever method, fill with batter and prep your donut maker or donut pan and bake according to manufacturers instructions.
- Our Babycakes donut maker takes about 4½ minutes to cook ours up, baking in oven trays may take a bit longer.
- Remove cooked donuts to a cooling rack and let cool completely before coating
- Prep maple sugar/ginger dust while donuts cool – place coconut sugar and crystallized ginger in a spice grinder and process until ginger is powdery, pour into small bowl. Add finely chopped ginger if using.
- Brush the top of the donut with molasses and then place top down into maple sugar/ginger powder and repeat with remaining donuts. *for dairy free, use coconut oil instead