This recipes is a blending of two of our favorite potato dishes: scalloped potatoes & funeral potatoes…yes, funeral potatoes are a real thing. If you Google it, there are many, many variations. This is our spin on that beloved & favorite potato dish that we re-made without the “cream of whatever” soup the original recipe used and added so many real ingredients we knew it had to be amazing. Ghee adds an intense buttery flavor to the sauce and the cassava flour helps it thicken up while it bakes. Pretty sure this will be a side dish making an appearance at your dinner table often!
funeral potatoes (creamy layered potato casserole)
dreamy non-dairy scalloped potato casserole, the perfect side dish for any meal or family get together!
- 2 russet potatoes, baked and cooled
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 cups Aroy-D coconut cream
- 2 tbs Otto’s Cassava Flour
- 1 tsp mushroom herb blend (click here for our recipe)
- ¾ tsp Redmond Real Salt
- 3 tbs Tin Star Ghee, separated
- ⅛ tsp Red Boat fish sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup raw Parmesan cheese, shredded (opt)
- ¼ cup Jacksons Honest coconut oil fried potato chips, crushed
- 1 tsp chives, finely chopped, divided
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 385̊
- Prep inside of a oven proof 7″ x 9″casserole dish with a little coconut oil.
- Slice potatoes into ¼” slices, leaving skins on and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine coconut cream, cassava flour, mushroom spice blend, salt, 2 tablespoons of ghee & fish sauce – whisk well to combine, set aside.
- Spoon a couple tablespoons of sauce onto bottom of pan and spread with the back of the spoon to cover the bottom in a thin layer.
- Lay slices of potato in a single layer on top of that, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, spoon about ½ cup of the sauce evenly covering the top of the potatoes, sprinkle with a couple tablespoons of Parmesan cheese (if using). Repeat layering in the same order, ending with sauce and cheese.
- In a small sauce pan, melt remaining tablespoon of ghee and add crushed potato chips and ½ teaspoon of chives and stir until combined. Sprinkle on top of final layer of sauce.
- Sprinkle remaining chives and green onions on top and cover pan with foil.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes, remove foil and then continue baking and additional 12-15 minutes until bubbly and top is golden brown.
- Let cool slightly before serving.