Last week when the stomach flu bug was making the rounds at our home, the only thing that sounded even remotely good after two days of eating nearly nothing was a banana chocolate chip muffin…and there they were, really ripe bananas sitting on the counter waiting to me turned into just that!
Muffins are one of the “love languages” at our home and this baby is no exception! Because, well…chocolate!! I’d tried giving a paleo make over to this family favorite recipe before, but had no luck. On a whim, without over complicating it this time and with minimal changes…BOOM! It was nearly perfect the first time and completely hit the spot. Gurgly tummy was filled with some warm muffin happiness and now we have this tasty recipe to share.
Make sure those bananas have plenty of brown spots, they’ll be sweeter and they’ll mash up easier! Have fun with this and please enjoy!!
cassava flour banana chocolate chip muffins
grain free paleo banana muffins
- Pre-heat oven to 385° and line muffin tin with parchment liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine cassava flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk to combine and then toss chocolate chips (and nuts if adding) into the bowl, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix mashed bananas, butter, honey, egg and vanilla…whisk well to combine and make sure egg is well mixed in.
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and using a spatula mix until well combined then let it set for about 5 minutes.
- If you want a tall muffin, fill up 8 tins ~ if you want shorter muffins you could easily stretch the batter into 9 or 10. Sprinkle with additional chips and/or nuts if using.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and golden brown.
- Cool for 4 minutes in the tin and then remove and let them cool on a wire rack. *we have always used fresh bananas when baking, if you use frozen bananas that you thaw, you may need to adjust the amount of bananas to 1 ¼ cup or less instead of the full 1½ cups.