You could really add any pie name after the “de-constructed” title here – because you could literally bake any pie in little ramekins (pecan, berry, rhubarb, apple etc) or a filled pie (lemon, chocolate, banana cream etc) into the ramekins and then use the pie crust cookies to scoop away!
Sometimes you just need a pie without the fuss of trying to get the crust into that pie plate! Tadah! Make the crust, roll it out and cut into shapes with a pie crust cutter or just cut them into rectangles (watch our video here) – either way, you’re gonna have a tasty pie explosion in your mouth!! The pie crust cookies are optional and you could just eat this with a spoon, but if you want the crunchy texture…make up a batch ahead of time so they’re ready when this yumminess comes out of the oven!
One of our Instagram friends was in need of a Dutch apple pie for Thanksgiving so we thought we’d put a little twist on it and make it a little bit different. If you want to make this a full size pie, simply double the ingredients for both the pie and the crumble and pour into our un-baked pie crust and then put the crumble on top and bake. Baking times would need to be adjusted for longer, but just keep an eye on it.
Get creative and have a blast with this!
“de-constructed” dutch apple pie
the taste of a standard dutch apple pie, but without all the fuss
- Pie Crust Cookies (optional, but if using, make ahead of time)
- 1 paleo pie crust recipe
- coconut sugar/cinnamon mixture for sprinkling
- 4 c apples, peeled, seeded and chopped into about ½” chunks
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 1½ t Otto’s Cassava Flour
- 1 t cinnamon
- ¼ c coconut sugar
- ⅛ t nutmeg
- ⅛ t Redmond Real Salt
- 1-2 T butter for ramekins
- Crumble topping
- ½ c Otto’s Cassava Flour
- ⅓ c coconut sugar
- ¼ t cinnamon
- ⅛ t Redmond Real Salt
- 2 T finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- dash of nutmeg
- ⅓ c cold grass fed butter, cut up into ½” pieces
- Pie crust cookie instructions: make pie dough and either roll out and cut into shapes with a pie crust cutter or cut them into simple rectangles. Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle with coconut sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 420° for 12-15 minutes or until they are a nice golden brown. Keep an eye on them…they go from golden to over done quickly!
- Pie instructions: pre-heat oven to 375°
- In a large bowl, toss in apples and lemon juice and toss about with a spatula to fully coat all the apples with juice.
- Add remaining ingredients for the filling and toss again to fully coat all the fruit.
- Butter sides and bottoms of 4 ramekins (this will vary depending on the size of your ramekins) and fill them up evenly with fruit.
- In a small bowl, toss all dry ingredients for crumble together and then toss in butter cubes and with a pastry cutter, blend until all butter is incorporated.
- Spoon the crumble topping on to the fruit and distribute evenly.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet and place in oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until fruit underneath is soft and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.
- Serve with those crunchy pie crust cookies and enjoy!!