For the very special birthday we’re having here tomorrow…we made a favorite summer treat that remains tummy friendly, super delicious and so reminiscent of those days we all used to have, running after the ice cream truck and hoping they had some drumsticks! Waffle cone, ice cream, chocolate and nuts…cause seriously, is there really a better combo!
They do take a couple days of prep ahead of time, but think of someone you love and go to the effort of making these…they’re amazing and so far our taste testers here have given them a huge thumbs up! They will love you even more in return and you’ll feel better about indulging in this treat that is full of amazing ingredients!
the perfect summer time favorite frozen treat
- Make waffle cones at least a day ahead and let dry
- Come up with something to put the cones in for holding them upright in the freezer, we used a bakery box with holes in it…be creative!
- Make sure you have room in your freezer to slide the cone holder into once you have the ice cream in the cones before you start filling them! You don’t want to have to find room once your cones are ready to go in the freezer!
- Prep cones by dipping the bottom tip of the cones in the chocolate crackle or drop about 3-4 chocolate chips in the bottom of each cone. Either method should prevent ice cream from dripping out as it melts as you work your way to the bottom. If you use the chocolate method, allow time for it to harden before preceding.
- Fill cones with your favorite ice cream, then place a final scoop up on top. We like to use a small ice cream scooper to get a nice round scoop on top!
- Once all cones are filled, place them back in the freezer so the ice cream can harden back up and get happy in the cone. Typically an hour should do it, but depending on your ice cream could take more or less time.
- While cones are re-freezing, make the chocolate crackle glaze and keep warm, you don’t need it super hot, just warm enough to stay liquid. You’ll need it in a vessel that is deep enough so you can dip the cone top into it.
- If you’re using nuts up on top, have those ready in a shallow dish.
- Remove cone holder with ice cream filled waffle cones from the freezer and dip cone top upside down into the chocolate crackle, place in holder and sprinkle with nuts if using. It should harden pretty quickly. Repeat steps for remaining cones and place back in freezer until ready to enjoy.
- Ta-dah…you’ve just made some folks pretty happy! Enjoy these and give whoever you made them for a big ol’ hug and tell them how very much you love them!