For all those chocolate lovers (like myself) that feel a sense of “chocolate” loss while doing the 21 Day Sugar Detox, this smoothie is for you…errr us! It hit’s the ol’ chocolate craving to a tee and since it’s loaded with all sorts of good fats, can work as a mini meal. But I would suggest probably also enjoying an egg and a slice of bacon if you’re using it for your breakfast meal. That is certainly my opinion and not necessarily that of the official “21DSD” program…just my two bits on what’s worked for us. For more info on this wonderful, official detox program by Diane Sanfilippo you can find out all you need here: 21DSD
- It’s best to have the bananas frozen, but if they’re not, no problem! You just may need to add more ice if you like your smoothies thicker like a shake
- Also, if you don’t have almond butter, maybe try a different nut butter if you have it. We enjoy sun butter and have used that on occasion and seems to work well
- Start with 2 T of cocoa powder or if you like a really dark chocolate flavor go for it with 3 T from the get go…but be warned, unless you’re used to enjoying very dark chocolate, it might be a tad bitter
- Don’t have coconut milk, well unsweetened almond milk would work as well
- This recipe makes enough for 2 servings – so plan on sharing or cut the recipe in half
*Note to non 21DSD folks: So to be warned, we came up with this smoothie recipe while we were doing the 21 Day Sugar Detox by Diane Sanfalippo (for more info on this detox click here) – so it is NOT sweet by any means, but is most certainly chocolaty. It is also jam packed with some amazing healthy fats, so you’re gonna feel pretty satiated! The green banana you add in does lend a touch of sweetness, so it is still enjoyable anytime, not just when you might be doing the detox.
cocoa almond smoothie
The perfect smoothie to enjoy while you’re doing the 21DSD!
- 1 c full fat coconut milk
- 2 frozen, green tipped bananas
- ½ avocado
- 2-3 T cocoa powder
- 2 T almond butter
- 1 T grass fed, unsweetened protein powder (we use this kind)
- ¼ c raw almonds
- ¼-½ c water
- crushed ice
- Toss it all into a blender and whirl away, adjust water & crushed ice to the consistency you like your smoothies to be…grab a straw and enjoy!