We came up with this recipe to share at a paleo pie crust class we’d been invited to teach at a Redmond Farms Heritage Store here locally. We wanted to be able to share a holiday flavor in a special treat with the class so this little gem was born! We shared this recipe exclusively with the attendees last week as well and they all enjoyed them so much!
What doesn’t speak the holidays like the flavor of egg nog! At least around here anyways!! We love it and look forward to making it every year! Now along with sipping it, we can also whip up a batch of these mini’s and enjoy a mouthful…or if we have a holiday party to attend, we can bring these along and no one will know they’re actually good for them…so many yummy ingredients.
egg nog mini donuts
cassava flour & paleo egg nog mini donuts
- 1 c Otto’s cassava flour
- 1 t baking powder
- ¼ t Redmond Real Salt
- 1 t ground nutmeg
- ¼ ground clove
- ¼ ground cinnamon
- 2 T coconut sugar
- ¼ c softened butter*
- ¼ pure maple syrup
- ¾ c full fat coconut milk
- ½ t vanilla
- 1 egg
- Cashew nutmeg cream
- ½ cashew paste**
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1 T melted coconut oil
- ½ t freshly grated nutmeg
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the cassava flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon – set aside.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, add softened butter & coconut sugar and mix until fluffy with an electric mixer. 3.Add maple syrup, coconut milk, vanilla & egg to butter mixture and mix till well combined.
- Add flour mixture to liquid & mix until all ingredients are combined, batter will be thick which is perfect for filling your donut maker or tray.
- We use a plastic bag with the tip cut off to pipe our batter into our donut maker, you can also use a pastry bag…whichever method, fill with batter and prep your donut maker or donut pan and bake according to manufacturers instructions.
- Our Babycakes donut maker takes about 4½ minutes to cook ours up, baking in oven trays may take a bit longer.
- Remove cooked donuts to a cooling rack and let cool completely before coating
- Prep cashew nutmeg cream while donuts cool – stir together cashew paste along with other ingredients until well combined.
- Dip the top of the donut into the cashew cream and return to cooling rack, repeat with remaining donuts and sprinkle with freshly grated nutmeg if desired.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve, otherwise the cashew cream will eventually seep into the donut…it will still taste great, just won’t have as much cream on top. *for dairy free, use coconut oil instead **to make cashew paste, soak 2 c cashews in 4 c of water for an hour, drain & rinse and place cashews in high powered blender along with 1 c of water & a pinch of salt. Process until very smooth