We’ve been making so much angel food cake (yes, Paleo Angel Food Cake, see our post here!) so guess what we’ve had lots of sitting in the fridge? Egg yolks! One must not waste this golden goodness from nature!
Scrambled eggs are of course an obvious option to use them up, but how about something sweet to go along with the Angel Food Cake…a fruity curd! No brainer!!! The most famous curd is probably lemon and for good reason. IT’S DELICIOUS!!! But of course I had to try something new. Had some kiwi that needed to be used up, brilliant right!? If only we didn’t eat with our eyes first! Egg yolks are YELLOW, so mix that with green fruit – yaaaa, the color (while a lovely olive shade) was not so pretty to look at. Scratch that idea! Then had the thought that maybe the reason lemon curd is so popular is because lemon juice is already yellow, so mixed with egg yolks only provides more yellow. Ahhhhhh, makes total sense.
On my next trip to Costco guess what practically jumped into my cart? Golden Kiwi fruit! The recipe Gods were smiling on me, right!? Couldn’t have worked out any better and boy is it delicious and oh so pretty with those little specs of black. Sweet and creamy like lemon curd without the pucker!
Soooo many possibilities with this golden curd, a few of which are to come soon. For now, make that angel food cake of ours and then use up the egg yolks making this amazing golden kiwi curd.
paleo golden kiwi curd
paleo golden kiwi curd
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup golden kiwi puree (approx. 2 golden kiwis)
- ½ cup raw honey
- ½ tsp Redmond Real Salt
- ¼ cup Kerry Gold Butter
- juice of 1 lime
- Press egg yolks through a fine mesh sieve* into a 3 qt saucepan.
- To make kiwi puree, add to a narrow mason jar and whirl away with an immersion blender until very smooth. The smoother the better! Pour into saucepan with egg yolks, then add honey and salt – whisk well to combine.
- Over medium heat, cook and stir continually until just starting to boil and thicken. Remove from heat and pour into a 4 cup measuring cup or bowl. Add butter and whisk until melted and fully combined. Add lime juice and whisk again.
- Cover with plastic and place in refrigerator for 15 minutes. Remove plastic, stir well and place in an airtight container. Store in refrigerator and enjoy in all sorts of creative ways. Use within a week to 10 days for optimal texture and taste. *you normally pour the hot curd through a fine mesh sieve after it’s cooked to eliminate any errant stringy egg parts and lumps. If you do that with this curd you will also eliminate all the cute kiwi seeds that add so much character to this curd. So, press those egg yolks through that sieve before you cook it!
THIS Kiwi thinks your golden kiwi curd looks pretty damn delish!
Thanks so much Joanna! Hope you enjoy it 🙂 ~Michelle
Hi Michelle! Funny I randomly happened upon this on Pinterest as I was looking for a kiwi curd recipe. Small world!!! All I have is the green kiwis but I think I’ll give it a go.
Hey cute stuff! 👋🏻 It truly is such a small world! I would have to think that green kiwi 🥝 would work as well, can’t wait to hear how you like it!! xoxo