How about some Paleo SHAKE N’ BAKE CHICKEN! Another blast from the past friends, but without all the preservatives and artificial stuff! The original “shake n’ bake” product was introduced back in 1965 and quickly became a huge hit. For good reason! It makes mealtime quick and also flavorful.
Our Paleo SHAKE N’ BAKE meets that old mix in convenience and then takes it up several notches in flavor and the “healthy” department. We start with the DAIRY FREE CHEESE CRACKER mix from LEGIT BREAD COMPANY and then add a couple other ingredients. Just like that you’ve got 4 servings of this tasty mix to keep on hand.
We’ve been enjoying so many of the spice mixes from Balanced Bites. Their spices are organic and pack such a great flavor. The SUPER GARLIC has become our new go-to lately and we are completley smitten with it. It’s such a great compliment to this SHAKE N’ BAKE mix. We strongly suggest checking out their site and supporting this small business from the Bay Area in northern California.
We tried the mix on bone/skin on chicken, bone/skinless chicken as well as boneless pork chops. Win, win, win! The biggest difference in all of these is bake time, with obviously the bone in chicken taking the longest. Also, we preferred the air fryer method for convenience and bake time, but using your oven is still a huge win!
If you don’t already have a meat thermometer in your kitchen, we’d suggest investing in one. When you have a coating on a protein like chicken or pork it’s pretty critical that you bake it long enough. They are relatively inexpensive and take the guesswork out of that question “do you think it’s done yet?” We recently purchased this one, but there are so many out there. Find a favorite and start using it with your proteins like this. The coating stays intact and you know for certain when it’s “done” and ready to eat!
We hit our chicken with some time under the broiler after it was done baking. A totally optional step of course and does add even more of a crispy finish. ENJOY!!!
Here are a few of the fun recipes you can make with our PIE CRUST MIX:
paleo shake n’ bakeCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
4– 1/2 cup uses
a Paleo remake that’s a blast from the past & even better than the original!
1 Legit Bread Company Dairy Free Cheese Cracker Mix
1 cup pork panko
2 tsp fine sea salt
2 tsp Balanced Bites Super Garlic (or garlic powder)
2 lbs chicken breast or thighs
1-2 tbsp avocado oil (spray or brush on)
- Add cracker mix, panko, salt and super garlic to a small bowl, toss about to fully combine. You should have 2 cups of “shake n’ bake” mix. Measure ½ cup into a bag or reusable bag and place the remaining 1½ cups in an airtight container for next time.
- Remove chicken from the packaging and let it set for about 30 minutes before coating and preheat the oven to 400° if baking or if you’re using your air fryer, stand by!
- For the OVEN, spray an oven safe baking rack with avocado oil and place inside your baking sheet. For AIR FRYER, spray your basket if needed, ours in stainless steel so we need to, but if yours is non stick, then you may not need to.
- Wet one piece chicken with water, shaking off excess then placing in the bag with the mix. Shake, flicker or joggle about to coat, pressing slightly to adhere. Place on the baking rack or air fryer basket. Repeat with remaining pieces.
- Spray or lightly brush the tops of each piece of chicken with avocado oil then place in the oven or air fryer. Bake until chicken juices run clear, internal temperature is 160° and the coating is browned and crispy. OVEN: 25-30 minutes if it is bone/skinless or up to 45-50 minutes for bone/skin on. AIR FRYER: 10-12 minutes for bone/skinless or up to 17-20 for bone/skin on. We suggest using a meat thermometer for the most accurate temperature. For either option, you can also place under the BROILER for another couple of minutes, totally optional.