Waffles are my favorite…so it looks like we have another recipe inspired by what I wanted to enjoy, say what!!! I know, that makes two recipes in the last couple weeks!! Hahaha, sometimes I do look out for my own tastebuds!! But come one, waffles are just crispier than pancakes and have all those little indents to hold the syrup…and with real maple syrup, more on the waffle and less on the plate the better!
Using a dried apple in the recipe seemed to be perfect! Right?! By the time the waffle is crispy those dried apples have baked into an almost caramelized texture and provide some great flavor! We use the Bare brand (super convenient #amiright) but you could certainly make your own and get similar results. You may be asking, can I make this waffle recipe without the spices and dried apples? Yep, it would then have a different name…but still bake up so tasty! Experiment away!
Don’t skip the cinnamon butter syrup here, it’s simply perfection! Oh, also…to keep waffles crisp while you’re making them all up, warm up your oven to around 200° and place a wire rack inside. As you finish each waffle, place them on the rack. They’ll be crispy and the perfect temperature for enjoying when you’re done using up the last drop of this tasty batter!
apple spice waffles
perfectly crispy paleo waffles
- 1 cup Otto’s Cassava Flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Redmond Real Salt
- 2 tbl coconut sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground clove (opt)
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger (opt)
- ¼ cup butter/ghee, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup, room temp
- 1 cup water, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg, room temp
- ¾ cup Bare cinnamon apple chips, crushed cinnamon butter syrup
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup grass fed butter, or ghee
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Make cinnamon butter syrup: combine maple syrup, butter (ghee) and cinnamon over low heat and warm while preparing waffles.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine cassava flour, baking powder, salt, coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and ginger (if using), whisk to combine, set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine butter (or ghee), maple syrup, water, vanilla and egg. Using an electric mixer, blend until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and blend with mixer until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Toss in the crushed dried apples, reserving a few for garnish!
- Warm up waffle iron, follow manufacturers directions and cook waffles until a warm golden brown.
- Eat right away or cool completely and freeze to enjoy later!!