We found some “mostly” clean and organic candy canes at our local Sprouts Market, so we wanted to showcase them in a couple holiday treats we have planned…one of them was this super tasty donut. Chocolate and peppermint is another super yummy holiday flavor combo that makes your mouth happy!
We use doTERRA peppermint oil to impart the most authentic and real peppermint flavor in these cuties not mention it also promotes healthy digestive health. You can use peppermint extract, see note at the end of the recipe for usage.
The crushed candy canes are optional up on top, but they do add a visual reference to what flavor to expect besides chocolate as well as add great texture!
chocolate peppermint mini donuts
such a perfect holiday combo of chocolate and peppermint
- ¾ c Otto’s cassava flour
- 3 T cocoa powder
- 1 t baking powder
- ¼ t Redmond Real Salt
- 2 T coconut sugar
- ¼ c softened butter*
- 6 T pure maple syrup
- ¾ c full fat coconut milk
- ½ t vanilla
- 1 egg
- 10 drops doTERRA peppermint oil peppermint essential oil**
- Chocolate glaze
- ½ c dark chocolate chips
- 1 t coconut oil
- 2-3 drops doTERRA peppermint essential oil**
- 1-2 organic candy canes, finely ground for garnish, optional
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the cassava flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt – set aside.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, add softened butter & coconut sugar and mix until fluffy with an electric mixer. 3.Add maple syrup, coconut milk, vanilla, egg and peppermint essential oil to butter mixture and mix till well combined.
- Add flour mixture to liquid & mix until all ingredients are combined, batter will be thick which is perfect for filling your donut maker or tray.
- We use a plastic bag with the tip cut off to pipe our batter into our donut maker, you can also use a pastry bag…whichever method, fill with batter and prep your donut maker or donut pan and bake according to manufacturers instructions.
- Our Babycakes donut maker takes about 4½ minutes to cook ours up, baking in oven trays may take a bit longer.
- Remove cooked donuts to a cooling rack and let cool completely before coating
- While donuts are cooling, melt chocolate chips, coconut oil, peppermint essential oil in a double broiler till warmed and smooth, spoon into a smaller bowl for dipping.
- Dip the top of the donut into the chocolate and return to cooling rack, repeat with remaining donuts.
- While chocolate is still soft, sprinkle ground candy canes on top if using. *for dairy free, use coconut oil instead **to use peppermint extract, start with approximately ½ teaspoon and adjust with more if you want more mint flavor