Our love affair with mini donuts continues! These are just as bright and lemony tasting as they sound! But before we get too far…disclaimer right here! The glaze is #notpaleo ~~ there, it’s out there. Here’s the reason why….
We were throwing/hosting a bridal shower for a dear friend and she asked for donuts. Her name is Courtney…she doesn’t eat paleo, nor did any of her guests…well other than us, but we were the hostesses! Courtney loves our paleo donuts and has eaten plenty here at our home, which is why she requested them as the “treat” portion at her bridal shower. Keeping the donuts paleo was easy, and two of the three we served were. (the other two were our mint chocolate chip mini’s and then straight up chocolate!) But we wanted guests to have a non-chocolate option and had been wanting to make a lemon poppy seed version, so we seized the opportunity. We tried to make a lemon glaze that tasted good, had the perfect consistency for glazing the donut and was still paleo…but it didn’t happen. Several attempts later we just decided to not worry about it and go with using some organic powdered sugar and make a glaze that would serve our purpose! It was just what the donut called for and was a huge hit!
So if you’re looking for a #perfectlypaleo donut…this is not it for you unless you leave the glaze off. Which, believe me…it still tastes amazing and is still completely gluten free! We do have a whole bunch of donuts that are, don’t worry! Find those recipes here!!
This is also the first donut we’ve made using Tin Star Brown Butter Ghee, and it’s a game changer! We met the lovely ladies of Tin Star at PaleoFX in May of this year and have been working on a few recipes using their golden elixir…wow is all we can say! Everyone should have more of this ghee in their lives!
mini lemon poppy seed donuts
bright, lemony and oh so delicious
- 1 cup Otto’s Cassava Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp Redmond Real Salt
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbs maple sugar
- ¼ cup Tin Star Brown Butter Ghee (or fat of choice)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¾ full fat coconut milk
- 1 egg
- 10-12 drops of doTERRA lemon essential oil glaze
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- juice of one lemon
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- Sift together cassava flour, baking powder, salt, poppy seeds and zest.
- In a separate bowl beat the maple sugar and ghee until fluffy.
- Add syrup, coconut milk, vanilla, egg and lemon oil to the ghee mixture and beat until well combined.
- Combine dry ingredients with wet and beat again until well combined. Batter will thicken up as it sets.
- Use a plastic bag with the tip cut off to pipe batter or you can also use a pastry bag with a large tip, whichever method, fill with batter and prep your donut maker or donut pan and bake according to manufacturers instructions.
- Once donuts are cooled, stir together all glaze ingredients in a small bowl until well combined. You want a smooth and pretty fluid consistency so that you can dip the top of the donut in it and then it will slowly drip slowly down the sides.
- Allow glaze to set and serve!