My amazing mother-in-law, Patsy, passed this green bean recipe along to me so many years ago! It was a staple at many holiday feasts and Sunday dinners. The French style cut green beans make for a speedy dish to put together. It’s simply one of the easiest side dishes you can have ready to go, which makes it perfect for a busy holiday menu. We all know there are so many other menu items that require so much time. Since the ingredients in this dish are so simple, the green beans simply shine, no need for any “cream of anything” sauce here!
The original recipe was loaded with lots of brown sugar, which was subbed out with mildly sweet coconut sugar. The orange zest gives it just a kiss of citrus and the Redmond Real Salt adds the perfect balance! For a nice finish to the serving platter, orange peel curls are fun to garnish with and make it more festive!
citrus kissed holiday green beans
one of the easiest and best green beans to grace your holiday table
- zest of one orange, then juiced
- ¼ cup grass fed butter, softened (or ghee)
- 24 oz frozen organic French style green beans
- 4 tblsp coconut sugar
- 1½ tsp Redmond Real Salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- orange slices for garnish (opt)
- In a small bowl, mix orange zest and butter with the back of a spoon until well combined. Reserve approximately 2 tsp and set aside for use after beans are plated.
- In a large skillet, melt remaining butter/orange zest, stir in coconut sugar, salt and orange juice, reserving a few pecans for garnish.
- Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beans are crisp tender.
- Remove to serving platter, sprinkle with a few chopped pecans, reserved butter/zest and orange slices if using. Serve warm!