Whaaaaaatttt?! Our newest muffin recipe to the blog for 2019 is a low carb delight, packed with deliciousness just like the rest of our muffins. This time however, we used a new kid on the block, Bacon’s Heir Pork Panko ~ a gift to the low carb community and so versatile! It’s basically gluten free panko “bread crumbs” made out of pork rinds. Zero sugar, zero carbs and TONS of possibilities!
This muffin is sweetened with lucuma (fruit based sweetener popular in S. America) and stevia only. Zero sugar alcohols here. Our tummies DO NOT tolerate them very well, so we opt to not use them. And to be honest, for us anyways, the jury is still out over here as to the long term affects of consuming the large amounts of all these sugar alcohols that seems to be the trend right now. But as always, you be you!
These are a blend of almond flour, a touch of cassava flour and pork panko mixed up with lots of other “real food” forward ingredients coming in at around less then 5 total net carbs per muffin if you make 12 smaller muffins or a little over 5 if you only make 10. 😎 And that crunchy topping…be sure to save muffin top for last!!
Had such a great time working on this recipe (as well as a few more) for the folks at Bacon’s Heir ~ look for a few more heading to the blog soon. There may be a “low carb” fever goin’ on over here!!
maple bacon low carb muffins
who’s ready for a low carb muffin?
- 1¼ cup almond flour (8g)
- ¾ cup Bacon’s Heir Pork Panko
- 3 tablespoons Otto’s Cassava flour (19g)
- 1 tablespoon lucuma (a natural sweetener) optional (6g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Redmond Real Salt
- 1 cup cooked bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 cup raw milk (or full fat coconut milk for dairy free), room temperature (12g)
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup grass fed butter, melted and slightly cooled
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon NOW Better Stevia, maple flavor topping:
- 6 tablespoons Bacon’s Heir Pork Panko
- 4 strips of cooked bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons maple sugar (6g)
- pinch of Redmond Real Salt
- Preheat oven to 385° and line 10-12 wells of a muffin tin with parchment liners.
- Prepare topping, by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, pork panko, cassava flour, lucuma powder, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine well then toss in bacon. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, add raw milk, eggs, butter, vanilla and stevia. Whisk until eggs are completely incorporated. Pour into dry ingredients and mix together well with a rubber spatula and let batter set for about one minute.
- Fill prepared muffin tins and distribute topping evenly among them. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until center springs back when gently touched.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 3 minutes in tin and then remove to a rack to finish cooling.
*approximately 52 TNC for entire recipe ~ 10 muffins = 5.2 TNC/each – 12 muffins = 4.33 TNC/each