Another insanely delicious “pie” offering for the blog! How does a chocolate mint tart sound? Ya, same! What’s NOT to love about that combo? Having all the options on the blog for using our new PIE CRUST MIX is essential, so I thought this would be a fun twist on a standard pie.
This chocolate mint tart filling has deserved a makeover for years. Normally we make this with a standard chocolate bar and marshmallows. Hence the reason it’s not gotten the attention it deserves until now.
This year I finally got my hands on the HuKitchen CHOCOLATE GEMS as well as the Sweet Apricity marshmallows. Both are GAME CHANGERS! Thought the filling would be especially cute in a tart size offering.
You can make a standard pie with this filling instead of tarts. Simply double the filling recipe and follow the directions over on our pie crust recipe for a “cooked crust.” Once it’s cool, fill it up and serve with more non dairy whipped cream up on top.
This filing is luscious and oh so very rich. It won’t take too much to satisfy that chocolate craving, that’s why these little tarts seemed like the perfect way to serve it up.
We do use some pretty adorable PIE CRUST CUTTERS to top our tarts with. This is of course optional and you can use a simple circle or whatever small cut out you like. A pie crust snowflake cut out topper is optional, serve them with a dollop of whipped cream on top. Still very tasty!
A brief mention about the Balanced Bites vanilla infused sugar. Nope, it’s certainly not paleo. It is however organic and for a special treat like this one, the amount used is not a “it’s not paleo” issue to get high centered on for us. You be you Boo!
Using the delicious marshmallows from Sweet Apricity makes these tarts delightful! All of their products are paleo friendly and beyond delicious. Click over to their site to see all their goodies and be sure to use the discount: BACKPORCHPALEO at checkout for 15% off!
Our other recipes using SWEET APRICITY goodies:
Our favorite ingredients used in this recipe!
- Sweet Apricity vanilla marshmallows
- Redmond Real Salt
- HuKitchen chocolate gems
- Balanced Bites organic vanilla infused sugar
chocolate mint-mallow tartsCourse: dessertCuisine: holidiayDifficulty: moderate
our Paleo Pie crust recipe
20 Sweet Apricity vanilla marshmallows (63g)
3 tblsp full fat coconut milk
4 oz HuKitchen chocolate gems
pinch of Redmond Real Salt
6-8 drops peppermint essential oil
1 cup non dairy whipped cream
Balanced Bites organic vanilla infused sugar (opt)
egg wash (opt)
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Make pie crust according to directions, divide dough in half and place half back in the bowl and cover with plastic. Roll out the other half of the dough between parchment paper to about ⅛“ thick and cut out using cutters or small cookie cutters. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment and sprinkle with a bit of sugar if using. Set aside while you make tarts.
- For most tart pans, a 3” circle of dough should fit inside and up the edge. Roll out the other half of the dough, cut out circles and place in the tart pan pressing into the bottom and sides. You should get 8. Finish edge as desired.
- Place the baking sheet with cutouts on it and tart pan in the oven, bake for 5 minutes and remove tart shells from the oven to apply egg wash on tart edges if using. Return to the oven and continue baking for a total of 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool completely while you make the filling.
- In a small saucepan, add marshmallows, milk and chocolate gems. Melt over low heat stirring to fully incorporate. Watch closely so it doesn’t burn.
- Once melted, remove from heat and cool. Fold in whipped cream until fully incorporated. Spoon into tarts, place cutouts on top and sprinkle with a bit of sugar, if using. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Depending on how many tart shells you made, you could have extra filling. Simply spoon into a ramekin or small bowl and serve with a few cut out pie crust cookies. Equally delish!