The pairing of chocolate and caramel is literally the dreamiest, so I thought that adding a touch of sun butter to the mix would be outstanding. I was NOT wrong and these turned out so rich and delicious! They do take a little bit of time in the kitchen with a little clean up, but the effort is so worth it.
Definitely a treat you wouldn’t indulge in daily, but to have these in the fridge as a spontaneous dessert after a long day is simply magical. Salted caramel cups are the new evening indulgence!
Can you make these with almond or cashew butter, most definitely. Our favorite around here is sun butter, but you do you and see how you enjoy them. The Sweet Apricity caramels are NOT negotiable however!
Sweet Apricity crafts their goodies for those following the AIP (Autoimmune Protocol), Paleo, Gluten-Free or Dairy-Free diets. They offer the sense of joy that’s sorely needed when living with restriction. Sweet Apricity caramels, caramel sauce and marshmallows are all dairy free!
Our favorite ingredients used in this recipe!
salted caramel sun butter cups
an indulgent Paleo salted caramel sun butter cup
- 1½ cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 6 Sweet Apricity sea salted caramels
- 6 tsp Sun Butter, unsweetened (or more if you prefer)
- Redmond Real Salt Kosher Salt
- Place 6 parchment liners in a muffin pan, set aside.
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil slowly over a double broiler, stirring well to incorporate together.
- Spoon 1½ tsp of melted chocolate in the bottom of each of the liners. Place the tin in the freezer for about 3-5 minutes. You don’t need this layer completely frozen, just set up enough to holed up the caramel.
- While the bottom layer is setting up, shape each caramel into a flattened disc with your fingers. Roughly about the size a little larger than the size of a nickel.
- Remove muffin tin from the freezer and spoon approximately 1 tsp (or a bit more if that’s your preference) of the sun butter in the center of the chocolate in each cup and sprinkle with a little kosher salt. Place back in the freezer to set up for 5-7 minutes or until sun butter is a bit firm.
- Remove from the freezer and place caramel disc in the center of the sun butter, pressing down slightly.
- Spoon approximately 1½ tblsp’s of the melted chocolate on the top and sides of each cup til top is smooth. Return to the freezer to set up slightly before adding the sprinkle of additional kosher salt on top. If you add it when the chocolate is melted, it will soak into the top.
- Once completely firm, these can be removed from the freezer and stored in the fridge. Allow the cup to come to room temperature before enjoying.