When we asked our followers over on Instagram what fun recipes they’d like to see using our PIE CRUST recipe and we got several requests for PALEO HOT POCKETS! There are several great reasons why these made the list. Eating with your hands is so fun and enjoying little pockets filled with pizza toppings is even more fun!
What’s great about these PALEO HOT POCKETS is you can customize the filling. Maybe you like sausage and mushrooms or how about ham and pineapple? We went with the classic pepperoni for our first attempt and wow! We also included a good amount of the SUPER GARLIC spice blend from Balance Bites in the PIE CRUST as well as a sprinkle of their SUPER GARLIC PIZZA up on top after they came out of the oven. You can switch up the seasonings for a new hot pocket every time you make them.
We cut squares measuring 4½“ x 4½“ as this seemed to provide a classic hot pocket size as well as allowing to get 6 hot pockets per crust. Once they are filled and folded over, you’ve got such a great size! If you happen to be using our PIE CRUST MIX, which makes 2 crusts, you can get a solid dozen.
With the announcement of our new PIE CRUST MIX in collaboration with Legit Bread Company, we’ve been loading up the blog with all sorts of options for using it. Pies, pop tarts, hand pies, empanadas and now PALEO HOT POCKETS! Have you gotten your bag(s) yet?
Alright, you’ve got PALEO HOT POCKETS to make! Can’t wait to see all the creations over on Instagram!
A few of our other favorite recipes using our PIE CRUST MIX:
Links to our favorite items used in this recipe:
pie crust crackersCourse: main dishCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1 pie crust recipe (using almond milk as the liquid instead of water)
- ad ins
½ tsp Balanced Bites Super Garlic blend (opt)
¼ tsp Redmond Real Salt
2 oz pepperoni, cut into quarters
1 cup raw mozzerella cheese (opt)
¾ cup pizza/pasta sauce of choice
2 tsp Otto’s Cassava Flour
- to finish
egg, for egg wash
ghee or butter (opt)
Balanced Bites Super Garlic Pizza blend or Super Garlic Onion Infused Salt (opt)
- Preheat the oven to 420° and line a baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Make pie crust as directed, through step 5. If using our PIE CRUST MIX follow directions for making a single crust, using almond milk as the liquid if desired.
- Once dough has come together, add SUPER GARLIC blend and additional salt. Work into the dough ball until fully combined and divide dough in half.
- Roll out one half of the dough between two pieces of parchment paper, dusted with flour (or if using our mix, sprinkle with reserved mix) to around ⅛ “ thick. Cut 4½“ x 4½“ squares and place on the prepared baking sheet. Reroll as needed then repeat with the remaining dough ball.
- Once squares are on the baking sheet, stir together the pepperoni, pizza sauce, raw cheese (if using) and cassava flour. Stir to combine and set aside. Whisk egg in a small cup and brush surface of each square. Spoon about 1½ tablespoons of filling onto the middle of one square, flatten slightly with spoon. Carefully fold in half, pressing edges together on three sides. Repeat with the remaining squares. If you have any small tears, wet your finger and rub gently ove the tear to repair.
- Brush the tops with egg wash and cut slits in the top so steam can realease while baking. Place in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and while they are still warm, brush butter on top and sprinkle with SUPER GARLIC PIZZA blend or SUPER GARLIC INFUSED SALT and let cool slightly before enjoying. Serve with the remaining sauce, warmed up for dipping. Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to a week. Can be reheated in the oven or air fryer.