A Paleo banana cream pie! All the Thanksgiving feels on this one – another pie that I used to make every year with my mom for the holidays. Back in the day, the filling was certainly from a box of J-E-L-L-O brand pudding mix, but the sentiment and crust was always homemade!
Since I know not everyone has access to or can even tolerate raw milk like we do, I’ve tested this paleo banana cream pie recipe out using some non dairy options and it worked out wonderfully! Which makes me so very happy!!! The sub I used for the raw milk was the cashew milk paste from AddJoi – with a ratio of 3 tblsp paste to 10 oz of water. The whipped cream (not paleo, but is dairy free) is the cocowhip from So-Delicious, literally, so delicious!
If you don’t want to go all out and make the pie, make the filling and spoon into dessert cups, truly still amazing and festive!
Here’s some links for you:
our Paleo Pie Crust recipe
Maple sugar we use: Coombs Maple Sugar
Our favorite salt: Redmond Real Salt kosher salt
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
banana cream pie or puddingCourse: dessert
a luscious cream pie that is non dairy and so delicious
1 baked pie crust, see link above for our WONDERFUL recipe!!
6 egg yolks
½ cup maple sugar (can sub coconut sugar, flavor profile will be different & color will be darker)
3 tblsp tapioca starch
½ tsp Redmond Real Salt kosher salt
3 tblsp grass fed butter, or ghee
1½ cups raw milk, or nut milk of choice
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup organic whipped cream, or non dairy whipped cream
1-2 ripe bananas for using on the pie and for garnish
1 tblsp of fresh lemon juice (opt)
- In a medium size saucepan, whisk together egg yolks, maple sugar, tapioca starch and salt. Set aside.
- Place butter in a large measuring cup or bowl that you can rest a fine mesh on top of. Set aside. You’ll want to prepare this ahead of time.
- Pour milk into a small saucepan and warm over low heat JUST until you see small bubbles around the edges (Do Not Boil!) Add this SLOWLY to the egg yolk mixture, whisking as you pour. Cook this mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Usually around 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla.
- Pour this mixture through the sieve into the large bowl with the butter. It will be thick, but use the back of a spoon or spatula to push it through. This will remove any lumps. Whisk in butter as it melts and fully combine.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool. When ready, add whipped cream and whisk to combine, set aside.
- If you want to add a layer of sliced banana on the baked crust, cut into ¼” discs and coat lightly with a bit of lemon juice to keep them from turning brown. Totally an optional step that’s more for aesthetics. Otherwise, pour cream mixture into the prepared pie crust and place in the refrigerator to set up. Before serving add more banana discs and whipped cream to garnish.
Pingback: paleo pop tarts brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts ~ Back Porch Paleo
Pingback: Paleo holiday pie holiday pumpkin pie ~ Back Porch Paleo
Pingback: pear pie salted caramel pear pie ~ Back Porch Paleo
Would arrowroot be okay in place of tapioca?
Hi there Jessica – sorry for the delay in getting back to you! I think you could probably use that sub as they are often subbed for each other. ~Michelle
Pingback: apple hand pies glazed apple hand pies - Back Porch Paleo
Pingback: mini pear pies Paleo mini pear pies - Back Porch Paleo
Pingback: cherry vanilla cherry vanilla pie - Back Porch Paleo
Pingback: paleo butterscotch pie paleo butterscotch pie - Back Porch Paleo
Pingback: leftover dinner leftover Thanksgiving dinner hand pies - Back Porch Paleo
Pingback: pear tart paleo pear tart - Back Porch Paleo
Pingback: shortbread cookie cassava flour shortbread cookies - Back Porch Paleo
Pingback: artichoke dip bubbly artichoke dip - Back Porch Paleo
Pingback: paleo hot pockets paleo hot pockets - Back Porch Paleo
Pingback: paleo fig galettes mini paleo fig & prosciutto galettes - Back Porch Paleo
Pingback: pumpkin paleo pop tarts paleo pumpkin spice pop tarts - Back Porch Paleo
Pingback: paleo potato galette rosemary potato galette - Back Porch Paleo