We have a love of most things that fall into the Mexican food category. For some of our family that also means very spicy! We most certainly inherited that from my mom and Makenna’s grandma. Possibly from being quite short & spunky? Spicy and spunky, pretty much the same thing we like to believe. Plus, the two words can almost always be used interchangeably!
My mom may have liked this avocado soup, but probably only if I didn’t tell her what was in it. She did not like avocados at all, or most foods for that matter! We’re pretty sure she had some form of celiacs. Many foods made her sick. From a young age she decided not to eat rather than deal with the pain. One thing she did live on was corn chips and salsa, the spicier the better! It was her food group as she called it and we all grew up enjoying the spicy flavors!
Back to this avocado soup! It can be made as spicy or non spicy as you’d like. Just adjust the amount of jalapeno and chipotle chile flakes you add or completely omit! The chipotle does add some yummy smokiness to the flavor of the soup. So maybe adjust the jalapeno first and just go easy on the chile flakes? Your choice of course, start with a little and then adjust as your taste buds allow!
We use freshly roasted poblano peppers, often mismarked at grocery stores as pasilla peppers. You can certainly substitute a couple of 4oz cans of green chiles. If you haven’t tried roasting your own peppers, oh my! So much better than the canned variety – give it a try! We have instructions for roasting your own!
We like to top this soup with crunchy, fresh and bright flavors. Some of our favorites: sliced radishes, chopped green onions, chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, diced avocado or plantain chips for some serious crunch! Don’t forget the squeeze of fresh lime juice and maybe a swirl of your favorite non dairy creamer! Enjoy!
A few of our other favorite recipes:
- Whole30 & Paleo crispy ham & potato stacks
- “tates & taco meat”
- chorizo patatas bravas breakfast bowls
- brined popcorn chicken
Our favorite ingredients used in this recipe!
spicy chicken avocado soupCourse: Main DishCuisine: soupDifficulty: easy
the perfect blend of creamy avocado, chicken with a subtle kick of heat
1-2 tbls avocado oil (or fat of choice)
1 cup chopped green onions (green & white parts) + more for garnish
2 cloves fresh garlic, roughly chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and roughly chopped (omit if you don’t want it very spicey)
6 cups chicken broth
1 tsp Redmond Real Salt
2 tsp cumin
2 ripe avocados, diced + more for garnish
1½-2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1-3 tsp chipotle chile flakes (opt) + more for garnish
juice of 2-3 limes + extra wedges for garnish
2 roasted poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
handful of chopped fresh cilantro + more for garnish
salt and pepper to taste
- optional garnish items
sliced radishes, diced tomatoes, diced avocado, swirl of coconut milk, chopped cilantro, plantain chips, more chipotle chile flakes, cotija cheese if you can tolerate a bit of dairy & don’t forget an extra squeeze of lime juice!
- In a 5qt Dutch oven or stock pot, add avocado oil, green onions, garlic and jalapeno, saute until all items are soft and fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, salt and cumin, let simmer for about 20 minutes, you have to let those flavors mingle!
- Toss in avocado and use an immersion blender to puree until all avocado pieces are pureed and smooth. Alternately, if you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a blender in small amounts, hot liquids in a blender are volatile!
- After avocados are completely smooth, add shredded chicken, chipotle chile flakes, lime juice, poblano peppers and chopped cilantro. Taste and add additional salt, pepper and/or lime juice.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with suggested toppings above, or simply eat as is…either way your mouth is gonna love this!