CITRUS ROSEMARY CHICKEN KEBABS, because the snow has barely melted here in Provo but we’ve happily uncovered the grill and are all about grilling any meal that we can. This marinade is quick to put together and imparts so much flavor, it’s just amazing. It’s simple, yet the combination is remarkably wonderful. Full of citrus and herbal notes that are so refreshing.
Are you ready to create a sensational meal that is perfect for a weekday meal? Or even for a fancy family dinner over the memorial day weekend. It’s a crowd pleaser! Add some grilled veggies, a simple side salad along with these citrus rosemary chicken kebabs and your meal is ready to go!
We used fresh rosemary, but you could certainly use dried rosemary as well, just reduce the amount used. As a reminder, reserve 2-3 tablespoons of marinade before you pour it over the raw chicken. Part of the amazing flavor of these kebabs is using that to pour over the kebabs once they come off the grill.
Also, don’t forget to zest the lemons and limes BEFORE you juice them for the marinade. It’s so much easier to zest citrus while it’s whole! Grilling additional citrus halves on the grill is optional, but really is a nice garnish and allows guests to add an additional lemon or lime kick to their chicken.
We like to marinate our chicken overnight. This gives the chicken so much flavor and makes the kebabs so tender. You can marinate them for 4 hours and still have fabulous flavor, so no worries. Do plan ahead and try it out with an overnight dunk though. To make these kebabs WHOLE30, simply omit the raw honey. Still so very refreshing and tasty! We guarantee you’ll be enjoying these kebabs all season long!
citrus rosemary chicken kababsCourse: Main Dish, Our Favorites!, Recipes, Whole30Cuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
3-4 chicken breasts, cut up into approximately 3″ cubes
zest of 2 of the limes & 1 of the lemons listed below
juice of 4 limes
juice of 2 lemons
2-3 tbsp raw honey (omit for Whole30)
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½-¾ cup avocado oil (or equal parts citrus juice to oil 1:1)
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
additional limes and lemons cut in half to grill (optional)
*rosemary onion gremolata*
¼ cup diced sweet onion
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely diced
pinch or two of fine sea salt
- Place all marinade ingredients in a mason jar and shake until mixed well and all the honey has been fully incorporated.
- Reserve 2-3 tablespoons of marinade in a small jar or bowl. Pour remaining marinade over chicken pieces in a non reactive glass dish or ziplock bag. Place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours, or overnight for optimal flavor.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to grilling, to come to room temperature. If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water at this time as well, to prevent them from burning too much on the grill.
- Remove chicken from the marinade (toss out the marinade) and place 4-5 pieces of chicken on each skewer, allow them to touch slightly, this will keep them from moving around on the skewer while grilling and also help keep them from drying out. Grill until the juices run clear.
- While chicken is grilling, prepare gremolata by combining all ingredients on a cutting board and chopping until salt is incorporated and onions and rosemary are finely diced and set aside.
- Place cut lemon and lime halves on the grill along with the chicken and grill until there are some grill marks ~ grilling the citrus halves warms up the fruit and makes it super juicy to squeeze and serve with grilled meat.
- Once chicken kebabs are done, remove and place on a shallow baking dish or serving platter. While chicken is still warm pour reserved marinade over chicken and sprinkle with the gremolata. Add grilled citrus to the platter and kababs are ready to serve!
Pingback: cafe rio Whole30 "Cafe Rio" Salad ~ Back Porch Paleo
Pingback: huli huli chicken huli huli chicken - Back Porch Paleo