OK, ok! It’s full on Spring Fever over here and our minds and taste buds lean towards alllll things tropical as it continues to get warmer and warmer every day. One of our favorite flavor combos is coconut and lime. Anyone else?! Almost as much as mango and lime, wowser! We are tropical junkies!
We used to enjoy this cookie YEARS ago in our pre-Paleo days with some luscious coconut ice cream. We’ve missed them SO MUCH and finally decided it was time to give them a make over so we could enjoy them again. At this posting, I’ve made them 4 times in the past 2 weeks. Not just because I wanted to test them, but also because they are insanely delicious and are so easy to make. Next time, I should probably make a double batch so we have a stash in the freezer to tide us over for a month or so!
A comment on the coconut I used, it’s shaved coconut – which I prefer for the texture, but you can use shredded coconut. You may end up with fewer cookies, but the taste should still be wonderful. Toasting also isn’t required, but take the extra few minutes to do it, the flavor is enhanced and it lends some lovely color to the cookie.
Here’s to longer, warmer and tropical filled days! ENJOY!
coconut lime cookie
perfectly paleo tropical tastiness to enjoy all summer long
- ½ cup shaved coconut, toasted
- 1 cup Otto’s Naturals Cassava Flour
- ½ tsp Redmond Real Salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup coconut manna (melted)
- ¾ cup maple sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- zest of 1 lime
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 6 drops doTERRA lime essential oil (opt) coating*
- ¼ cup maple sugar
- ¼ cup shaved coconut, toasted (opt)
- ¼ cup coconut manna, melted, for drizzle (opt)
- Toast coconut in a cast iron pan over medium heat, stirring consistently. Once toasted, remove to a plate to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350° & line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat mats.
- In a small bowl, add cassava flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Fluff together with a fork and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, add coconut manna and maple sugar. Mix with a hand mixer until combined and fluffy. Add egg, lime zest and lime juice and mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to egg/manna mixture and mix until all ingredients are well combined. Stir in ½ cup of the toasted coconut.
- Coat: add remaining ¼ cup maple sugar to a bowl. Using a small cookie scoop, (we use a 4cm ice cream scoop) scoop dough and roll into a 1½” ball, roll dough ball in maple sugar and place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough placing dough balls approximately 1½” apart. Once baking sheet is full (typically 18 on each sheet) use a flat bottom glass to flatten cookie. If you don’t flatten, they will stay more round. Sprinkle with more toasted coconut (if using) and bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely on baking sheet before using a thin spatula to remove. Drizzle with coconut manna after they are completely cooled. Makes approximately 36 cookies. *if you don’t coat them, when you flatten them, they will stick to the glass