chocolate chocolate chip muffins
As I’ve posted about before in our pumpkin chocolate chip muffins post (click here to read that) …muffins are a thing of love around our home! I’m slowly working on converting all our favorite recipes into Paleo friendly ones so we can enjoy them once again.
Once the pumpkin recipe was transformed, I knew the next in line was for sure the chocolate chocolate chip flavor….because, well…it’s chocolate!
The wonders of Otto’s Cassava Flour™ still make my head spin…that you can bake such a yummy grain/gluten free muffin with some light fluffiness and texture is seriously such a treat and continues to make so many “warm fuzzy” food memories once again a reality here at our home!
“Otto’s Cassava Flour™ is the very highest quality cassava flour available. Other cassava flours are hand peeled and sun dried. That sounds romantic, but it can produce undesirable results. As the cassava dries in the sun it ferments and takes on a sour, musty smell and taste. If it happens to rain, it must sit longer, allowing opportunity for mold to grow. Otto’s Cassava Flour™, on the other hand, is thoroughly peeled and baked into a beautifully clean smelling and tasting flour you can count on again and again. This proprietary method leaves no chance for mold or fermentation to develop.” (from their website)
To learn more about this amazing flour visit their site! They’re a wonderful company and super nice folks! Here’s how you can get to their site…click here! We seriously love this flour!!
Onto the recipe! There are a few more steps to this one, but totally worth the results. Don’t skimp on the coconut milk turned into buttermilk, it helps create part of the yummy flavor of this family favorite! Simply add 1½ t apple cider vinegar to your ½c of coconut milk, wait 5 minutes and you will have buttermilk!
chocolate chocolate chip muffins
one of the fluffiest, grain free chocolate paleo muffins you’ll ever have...guaranteed!
- ¾ c Otto’s Cassava Flour™
- ¼ c potato starch
- 1 T psyllium husk
- ¾ t baking soda
- ¼ t baking powder
- ¼ t Redmond Real Salt
- ¼ butter, melted
- 5 T cocoa powder
- 1 T coconut oil
- ½ coconut milk butter milk, room temperature
- ⅓ c maple syrup, room temperature
- 3T coconut sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 t vanilla
- ½-¾ c dark chocolate chips
- ¼-½ c chopped pecans or nut of choice, or no nuts at all
- Preheat oven to 360°
- Line muffin tin with parchment liners, set aside.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl (first 6 ingredients) till well combined, toss chocolate chips and nuts (if using) in and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk melted butter, cocoa powder & coconut oil till well combined and cocoa powder is completely incorporated.
- Add, coconut milk buttermilk, maple syrup, coconut sugar, eggs and vanilla to chocolate mixture and whisk again till completely mixed and eggs are all incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Let batter sit for about 5 minutes so flours can settle and thicken up just a bit.
- Scoop batter into lined muffin tins, you should get 7-8 – we only got 7, but we like them tall!
- Add a few more chocolate chips and chopped nuts to the top, totally optional…but they look pretty with more decoration on top! Remember you eat with your eyes first!
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let sit for 5 minutes in muffin tin then tip them over on their sides to finish cooling. Please don’t let them cool completely in the tin…they will get soggy and moisture ridden…super gross!