This recipe was absolutely born out of the need for a quick addition to dinner we were having a couple weeks ago. Who knew it would get so much attention ~ to quote our Instagram post:
“We knows there’s PLENTY of grain free flatbread recipes out there, but if anyone’s interested in our version ~ raise those hands 🙋🏻♀️ and tap that ♥️ “
Literally one of the highest “liked” and chatted up post that didn’t involve an actual recipe and was simply a picture of dinner. How could I not share after all that LOVE!
So here it is! A couple of things…I’ve not tried any other subs for this. We are lucky enough to have access to amazing raw milk from Redmond Farms locally & it does have ghee in it – so it is NOT dairy free, but we tolerate both of these well at our home. If you happen to try a sub of a nut milk or coconut milk for the raw milk, please let me know how it goes. Same for the ghee…hope it works out just as well with another fat, and I mean that sincerely. I’m guessing you’ll have wild success with the subs and once the month of April is over we’ll give those subs a try!
It’s just a few ingredients and comes together so quickly. Be sure to keep them wrapped up in a flour sack dish towel while you cook them up, this makes them so soft, pliable and warm. Serve with grilled meats and some Tzatziki, our chicken makhani or simply as a side dish with a plate of homemade cassava pasta, oh the possibilities!! Please enjoy!
yeast free garlic flatbread
yep, another cassava flour flatbread recipe, but this one’s the BEST
- Scant 1½ c Otto’s cassava flour
- ¾ tsp Redmond Real Salt
- 1 tsp herb blend (optional)
- 1¼ c raw full fat milk (full fat coconut milk for dairy free)
- ¼ c ghee
- 3-4 cloves garlic, slightly smashed
- additional garlic cloves, finely diced for serving, optional
- ½-1 tsp Chosen Foods avocado oil
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and herb blend (if using) – set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, warm milk, ghee and garlic just until ghee is melted and garlic has a chance to infuse the mixture. DON’T BOIL.
- Remove garlic cloves (set aside and chop to serve) and pour warm milk mixture into dry ingredients and stir to combine. Dust work surface with additional flour and knead dough until a smooth ball is formed, adding additional flour if needed. Divide into 6-8 balls and place back in bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Warm up a cast iron pan on medium heat, you don’t want it too hot. Take one ball of dough and on a lightly dusted surface roll until it’s about ⅛” thick, flipping and adding a little sprinkle of flour if needed to make sure it doesn’t stick. Don’t add too much, you don’t want a floured surface on the dough. Also, if you want a crispier flatbread, you can roll it thinner.
- Add a little avocado oil to warm cast iron pan and swirl around to coat. Place round flatbread into pan. Once you have a few bubbles and the bottom side has some nice color, flip over and cook the other side. Once done, remove to a flour sack dish towel and cover. Repeat with remaining dough balls adding additional avocado oil as needed to the pan.
- Serve warm with chopped fresh garlic and ghee for a side dish, or with some grilled meat and your favorite tzatziki sauce.