I love purple food! It’s stunning, it reminds me of sweet angel momma as it was her favorite color! 💜 Purple veggies truly show us how spectacular Mother Nature is and it also often symbolizes royalty. Purple veggies also have many added health benefits thanks to a lovely little antioxidant called anthocyanins. It can heal cells, are anti-inflammatory, great for your heart/brain and can also help to fight off those cancel cells.
Lately you can find more and more veggies in the vibrant color, so I had to grab a head of lovely purple cauliflower and dress it up a bit. The “steak” variation looks so much like a beautiful tree from some dreamy healing meditation spot. I could stare at it for a while and get some zen time in. If you prefer to plate it family style, it’s still amazing and oh so tasty. Definitely whirl up a batch or two of our arugula garlic chimichurri so it’s ready to go and be sure to add that final sprinkle of Redmond Real Salt kosher salt. Adds crazy amazing texture and flavor!
Cooking the entire head of cauliflower in the INSTANT POT is a game changer making it so easy to have a tasty side dish in no time. Nothing further is necessary! HOWEVER! I just had to take it a step further since my new AIR FRYER was starting to feel under appreciated in my kitchen.
Using the air fryer to add a touch of color and caramelization really takes it over the top in my opinion! No Air Fryer, no problem. Instead, you can place the steaks under the broiler in your oven to get some great caramelizations as well. Quite frankly, it’s also a brilliant idea for meal prep. Use the IP to precook the cauliflower, then when you’re ready for the side dish, use the air fryer to get it on the table in no time.
Be sure to save any extra florets that aren’t used, freeze them for smoothies or even puree them to add to soup for a little bit of creaminess.
Links to our favorite items/recipes used in this recipe:
Instant Pot Cauliflower, with Air Fryer option
a cauliflower side, using your IP for a speedy PALEO, WHOLE30 or KETO dish
- 1 whole head purple cauliflower, or whatever color you prefer
- 2-3 tblsp avocado oil
- ¼ tsp Redmond Real Salt garlic salt
- 1 cup bone broth (veggie broth for vegan)
- ¼ cup arugula chimichurri
- Redmond Real Salt kosher salt
- toasted pepitas, (opt)
- dried chives, (opt)
- red pepper flakes, (opt)
- Prepare cauliflower by cutting bulky outer leaves off and trimming stem just enough so that you leave it intact and flat so it will sit in the Instant Pot without leaning over.
- Brush entire head with avocado oil then sprinkle with garlic salt, rubbing it into the cauliflower head to ensure even distribution.
- Place wire trivet inside your Instant Pot, pour in bone broth and place head of cauliflower onto the trivet. Secure lid, set to high pressure for 3-4 minutes.* Quick release, remove lid and carefully use the handles on trivet to remove from IP and place on cutting board.
- FOR STEAKS: cut down the middle, then cut slices from each half. (reserve other florets to serve on the side or for a smoothie later) Place slices in air fryer basket, brush with a little chimichurri. Set to 400 ° and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the edge of the florets just begin to get crispy. Remove to plate and serve with additional chimichurri, sprinkle with kosher salt and toasted pepitas, chives or pepper flakes if using.
- FOR FAMILY STYLE SERVING: cut down the middle and using a sharp knife, cut off all florets. Carefully place florets in air fryer basket and brush with chimichurri. Set to 400 ° and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the edge of the florets just begin to get crispy/brown or until desired crispiness. Remove to bowl/platter, drizzle with chimichurri, sprinkle kosher salt and toasted pepitas, chives or pepper flakes if using. *IP cook times can vary depending on the size of the head of cauliflower, start with 3 minutes and add an additional few minutes from there. If cook too long initially the entire head will fall apart and not maintain it’s shape. Also, the longer you cook colored cauliflower in the IP, the color will fade making it look far less appetizing.