A most welcome recipe “revision” for our blog! Paleo & Whole30 GARLIC CREAM SCALLOPED POTATOES are here!
A few years back we came up with a rendition of the infamous “funeral potatoes” so often made and shared at, well….funeral luncheons. A very real thing here in Utah, but not necessarily as well known outside of our state.
The best thing about this recipe? Well, the best thing is that it’s scalloped potatoes, haha! Also, you make this dish using leftover baked potatoes. Brilliant right! Since those spuds are already cooked, the baking process is simply to warm up that creamy sauce so bubbly delicious!
The garlicky sauce mingled with those soft tates is so remarkable! If you do tolerate a bit of parmesan cheese on occasion, go for it! Layer that along with the sauce, zero judgement! Another fun add in would be some chopped ham right? Just layer some finely diced ham right along with the potatoes, winner idea!
We are using the new SUPER GARLIC blend from Balanced Bites here. The freshest (and also organic) blend of garlic and herbs that truly take this dish over the top. You can use garlic powder, but taste the sauce before putting the dish together in case you need more garlic flavor.
We hope this graces your dinner table on many occasions, it’s truly such a wonderful side dish and warms up like a dream. That is, if you even have any leftovers!
A few of our other POTATO recipes:
garlic cream scalloped potatoesCourse: sidesCuisine: americanDifficulty: Easy
a splendid scalloped potato dish, dairy free & you’d never know it!
2 lbs russets, washed, baked & cool
3 cups almond milk
2½ tbsp cassava flour
2 tbsp ghee
1 tsp super garlic from Balanced Bites (or garlic powder)
½ tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp dried chives
Splash of Red Boat Fish Sauce
½ cup potato flakes
1 tbsp ghee
1 tbsp fresh chives, finely diced (or ¼ tsp dried)
½ tsp Super Garlic from Balanced Bites (or garlic powder)
1 green onion, sliced (opt)
- Preheat oven to 385̊
- Spray/brush the inside of an oven proof 7″ x 9″casserole dish with avocado oil.
- Slice potatoes into ¼” slices, leaving skins on and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine almond milk, cassava flour, ghee, super garlic blend, salt, dried chives and fish sauce – whisk well to combine. Warm up over medium low heat, stirring occasionally. Sauce should begin to thicken up, roughly about 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon approximately ½ cup of sauce into the bottom of the pan and spread to cover the bottom.
- Lay slices of potato in a single layer on top of that, SPRINKLE WITH SALT and pepper then spoon about ½ cup of the sauce evenly covering the top of the potatoes. Repeat layering in the same order, ending with sauce.
- For the topping, add the potato flakes, chives and super garlic blend to a small bowl then set aside. In a small saucepan, melt the ghee and pour over potato flake mixture, stirring to combine. Sprinkle on top of the final layer of sauce. Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes, remove foil and continue baking an additional 12-15 minutes until bubbly and top is golden brown.
- Let cool slightly, top with green onions before serving. Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to a week in the refrigerator.