Lime chicken chili, like white chicken chili, but so many layers of flavor better! Here’s the deal, we LOVE lime juice. There aren’t many southwestern/Mexican meals that we don’t include a squeeze or two (or three) of the delicious tangy elixir.
In this LIME CHICKEN CHILI, we feel like the lime juice compliments the spices, the chicken and makes the broth absolutely spectacular. Spoonful after spoonful, you’ll hear your taste buds asking for more.
The entire chili can be made in the Instant Pot, which is one of the most amazing things we all love about using it. We do like to cook the chicken in a cast iron pan since the sear you get is superior to what you get in the IP base. Totally up to you!
A word about the diced potatoes, they also can be cooked right along with all the things in the IP. Totally tasty and easy. We love to cook them in the air fryer and use them as a garnish. Something about a toasty lil cubed potato we just can’t get enough of. This is the AIR FRYER we use and absolutely love it’s versatility!
Yes, you do see beans in this recipe! No, they are NOT paleo. However, we have been able to reintroduce organic beans on occasion and think they are a great addition to this chili. You absolutely can skip them and maybe add extra potatoes. You be you!
To make this completely Whole30 compatible and Paleo, absolutely skip those beans! Delicious regardless and we can hear your taste buds clapping with excitement!
Some of our other favorite Southwestern/Mexican recipes:
lime chicken chiliCourse: DinnerCuisine: southwesternDifficulty: Easy
the chicken chili you never knew your taste buds needed!
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tbsp avocado oil
3 cups unsalted chicken bone broth
½ cup fresh lime juice
3 tbsp ghee
1 tbsp ground cumin
2-3 tsp fine sea salt*
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp onion powder
⅛ tsp chipotle chili powder
8 oz canned green chilies
1 russet potato, peeled, diced in ½“ cubes*
1 15.5oz can organic white beans (opt, omit for Whole30 or Paleo)
handful of chopped cilantro (opt)
2 tbsp cassava flour
¼ cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
red onions, finely diced
additional chopped cilantro
- Warm up a 12” cast iron pan. Add avocado oil, heat til shimmering then place chicken thighs carefully into the hot pan. Sear all sides til golden, then place in the base of your Instant Pot. Deglaze pan with ½ cup of the chicken broth then pour into the IP.
- Alternatively, you can saute the chicken in the base of your IP. We just prefer the sear you get from cast iron over the IP. Totally your call!
- Add the rest of the bone broth, lime juice, cumin, ghee, salt, garlic, oregano, onion powder and the chipotle chili powder to the IP. Stir and secure the lid, making sure it’s set to “seal.” Cook under high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Quick release, then carefully open. Remove chicken from broth and shred. Add back to the broth along with green chilies, potatoes*, white beans (if using) and cilantro (if using.) Make a slurry by placing the cassava flour and almond milk in a small bowl and whisk till well combined and smooth. Pour into the broth and stir everything together well.
- Secure lid, set IP to seal and cook under high pressure for another 3 minutes. Quick release then stir and serve. Spoon into bowl and garnish as desired.
- *if using salted bone broth, start with only 2 tsps of fine sea salt, taste and add more if needed.
- *alternate potato garnish – instead of adding the potatoes directly to the chili, we like to toss the small diced cubes in a bit of avocado oil, pinch of salt and/or chipotle chili powder, then air fry till golden brown. We set our AF to 385° and usually have toasty cubes within about 10 mins. So yummy as a garnish!