A featured recipe from our cookbook: BACK PORCH PALEO – HOMESTYLE COMFORT FOOD FROM OUR TABLE TO YOURS.
The DeVona’s CHOCOLATE PUDDING CAKE from our book is one of the most scrumptious and easy recipes you’ll find! It’s on page 96, front and center as the first recipe in the “DESSERT? DUH!” chapter. For good reason as it’s truly holds such a special place in our hearts. DeVona was the matriarch of our family and we enjoyed this cake at most every family gathering we had. Our lives were forever changed the day she was so abruptly taken from us. We miss her so very much.
DeVona’s CHOCOLATE PUDDING CAKE is one of 13 scrumptious new desserts in our book. It was developed with so many fond memories in mind and a hope of being able to recreate the original we loved so much. When we nailed it, there were a few tender tears…it’s what our taste buds remembered and so our hearts were touched. You can read more about DeVona here. The day she left us, our lives were rocked and never the same.
Arguably a very “sweet tooth” forward chapter filled with recipes sure to find their way to your family table for years to come. We hope you’ll find some treats to enjoy that you thought you’d not be able to enjoy again.
There are 5 other chapters in our new book. All packed with some of our favorite family comfort foods with deliciousness beyond what your taste buds can even imagine!
“How this cake makes pudding while it bakes, we don’t know. We’re thrilled that it does, though. No bowls are required for this one; you mix it all up in the cake pan and let it do its magic while it bakes. This pudding cake is hands down the most requested dessert when all of Michelle’s siblings gather and enjoy a meal together. Adults love it, kids love it, and with the ease of prep, the little ones can even help make it. DeVona’s original recipe used a boxed cake mix and boxed pudding, so we built this from the ground up. Read through this one a couple of times so you use the divided maple sugar and cocoa accordingly. One portion is for the cake, and the other part creates the pudding while it bakes. Make this and be amazed!”excerpt from our book “Back Porch Paleo – Homestyle Comfort Food, from our table to yours”
DeVona’s chocolate pudding cakeCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
a one pan chocolatey wonder you will LOVE!
¾ cup (100 g) cassava flour
1½ cups (278 g) maple sugar, divided
6 tbsp (32 g) cocoa powder, divided
2 tsp (9 g) baking powder
¼ tsp + ⅛ tsp fine sea salt
½ cup chopped pecans (opt)
1 large egg, room temperature
½ cup (120 ml) full fat coconut milk
2 tbsp (30 ml) avocado oil
1 tsp vanilla
1½ cups (360 g) boiling water
Ice cream or whipped cream to top (opt)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C)
- In an ungreased 8” x 8” pan, stir together cassava flour, ¾ cup (141 g) maple sugar, 2 tbsp (11g) cocoa powder, baking powder and ¼ tsp salt with a fork. Add egg, coconut milk, avocado oil, vanilla and nuts (if using) and mix with dry ingredients till smooth and egg is fully incorporated.
- Spread batter (which will be thick) evenly in the pan. Sprinkle remaining ¾ cup (141 g) maple sugar, remaining 4 tbsp (22 g) cup cocoa powder and ⅛ tsp salt on top of batter. DO NOT STIR IN.
- Place pan on a baking sheet (in case of spillage), then pour boiling water on top and again DO NOT STIR. Use a fork or butter knife to make sure all the sugar/cocoa mixture is submerged by lightly tapping it down; all dry mix needs to be covered by the water.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake portion comes out clean. Don’t push the toothpick in too far or you’ll end up in the pudding and not the cake. Remove from the oven and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. The pudding will be on the bottom and is very HOT. Serve with topping of choice.