Because it’s nearly Labor Day and these finally needed to happen!
Since I’m trying hard to get this posted today, I’ll have to come back and add pics and lingo later! Hopefully what is here for now will do the job!
ONE IMPORTANT TIP: REMEMBER TO REDUCE OVEN TEMPERATURE TO 385°!
Please message me over on IG if you have any questions!
paleo hamburger buns
paleo cassava flour hamburger buns
- ¼ cup warm water (110°)
- 1 tblsp honey
- 2 tsps quick rise yeast
- ⅓ cup grass fed butter, softened (can sub avocado oil)
- 3 lg. eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup mashed potatoes, room temp & preferably day old**
- 1½ tsps Redmond Real Salt
- ½ cup additional water (110°)
- 1¾ cup Otto’s Naturals Cassava Flour + additional for dusting
- 6 foil rings, roughly 3¼” in diameter*
- coconut oil to coat inside of foil rings
- 1 egg, whisked in a small cup for egg wash
- sesame seeds for top (if using)
- Preheat oven to 400° – Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Make foil rings, coat the insides with coconut oil, set aside.
- Combine ¼ cup warm water, honey and yeast. Whisk well and allow yeast to bloom. This can take anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Make sure it’s VERY happy and bloomed.
- While yeast blooms, in a medium sized bowl, add butter, eggs, mashed potatoes and salt. Using a hand mixer, beat until well combined.
- Add cassava flour to a large bowl. Once yeast is fully bloomed pour that into the flour, along with the butter/egg mixture and the additional ½ cup warm water. Beat on slow speed til combined then beat on medium high speed for about a minute to fully combine. Let it set for 5 minutes. You should have approximately 3 cups of dough/batter.
- Sprinkle additional flour on a clean surface, scoop ½ cup of batter out onto floured surface. Sprinkle additional flour on top and using a floured spatula, lift dough into your hand and gently shape by gently tossing it back in forth in your hands until you have a nice smooth ball. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Gently shape each mound with your hands to get a slight dome. Brush with egg wash, sprinkle on sesame seeds (if using) then place foil ring around it.
- Cover with a kitchen towel, place in a warm area of your kitchen and let rise for 7-10 minutes. You don’t want them to rise too much and begin cracking before they bake.
- Place in oven to bake, and REDUCE OVEN TEMP TO 385° – bake for 35-40 minutes or until tops are golden brown, remove from oven.
- Loosen foil rings with a thin knife if any are stuck and remove foil rings. Let cool completely before slicing. Definitely recommend TOASTING these buns before serving, but this is completely up to you! Enjoy!!!
- Best served the day of, but can be stored in the fridge and enjoyed the next day. Bring to room temperature before toasting.
*to make foil rings: tear 6 sheets of aluminum foil out that are 15-17″ long and 12″ wide (most foil rolls are about that width. Fold in half starting with the long edge, then fold in half again and then one last time. Basically into ⅛ th’s so you end up with a strip that is 15″ x 1½” – you can use the bottom of a ramekin as a guide to get the diameter you want. Simply wrap foil strip around and fold over to secure.
**mashed potatoes – simple leftover kind, made with grass fed butter, salt and a little full fat coconut cream! Also, red or Yukon gold taters make for the best dough!