Ready those dipping fingers, let’s all welcome air fried pickles to the “obsessed with our air fryer” line up here on Back Porch Paleo shall we!?
After being married to someone for over 30 years you’d know all the things he loves. This makes the second time in 2020 that I’ve learned that Drew (my hubby) enjoys something I had no idea about. Fried pickles came completely out of left field, thank you 2020. A silver lining!!
First there was pumpkin pie, had ZERO idea he liked it! That’s why this year there is a new HOLIDAY PUMPKIN PIE recipe on the blog. His response, “I’ve always had so many other great pies I wasn’t missing out.” Can you tell he’s very easy to please and a total sweetheart? Have always appreciated this about him and never take it for granted.
Next up, air fried pickles! When I started kicking around the idea of making this recipe he was like “oh, LOVE those?” to which there was a moment of “how did I NOT know this?” So you can bet I wanted to nail this recipe for him. It took testing a few different brands of pickles to get them just right, but here they are. Definitely go with the thicker cut discs, the thinner they are, the more they dry out.
Let’s talk dipping sauce! We love our “Utah original” fry sauce which is pictured here. Simply mix up your favorite Paleo ketchup and mayo (we enjoy both of the Primal Kitchen offerings here) in roughly a 2:1 ratio and you’re set. We are also LOVING the new Whole30 Secret Sauce as well as they’re House Ranch dressing. Both would be equally tasty for dipping.
Yes, they’re so easy to make. Yes, they will engage your salivary glands. Yes, there are oven directions as well. Yes, you will eat the whole batch in less than 10 minutes. Yes, yes, yes!!!
A few of our other favorite recipes:
- Whole30 & Paleo crispy ham & potato stacks
- “tates & taco meat”
- chorizo patatas bravas breakfast bowls
- brined popcorn chicken
Links to our favorite items used in this recipe:
air fried picklesCourse: AppetizersCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
ready those taste buds, fired pickles for the win!
2 cups thick cut pickles, drained/room temperature
⅓ cup Otto’s Cassava Flour
1 ½ tsp Redmond Real Salt
½ tsp black pepper, ground
½ tsp ground sumac
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp dried dill
¼ tsp granulated garlic
1 large egg, whisked (us egg sub for Plant-Based Whole30 or Vegan)
- Lay pickle discs out on a paper towel, making sure both sides are completely dry.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, sumac, paprika, dill and garlic in a shallow bowl, whisk to combine. Place egg in another shallow bowl, setting them side by side.
- Set up your coating station. I like to have the pickles first, bowl of dry coating, bowl with egg and then my air fryer basket last from left to right. Spray air fryer basket with avocado oil.
- Begin by dredging a few pickles at a time in the flour then into the egg. Let excess egg drip off then dip back in flour. Place in the air fryer basket. Repeat until all discs are coated. Spritz the pickles in an air fryer basket for optimal crispness.
- Air fry at 400° for 8 minutes, flip each disc and spritz with more avocado spray and continue baking for another 5-6 minutes or until desired crispness.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. We like the new Whole30 secret sauce or House Ranch dressing.
- Oven option: place pickles on a parchment lined baking sheet, spritz with avocado oil and bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Flip pickles and spritz with avocado oil and bake until desired crispness.
Pingback: air fried pickles — Back Porch Paleo | My Meals are on Wheels