It’s been a summer of bridal showers and family get togethers this year – what better reason to come up with a yummy salad that is stunning to look at and amazing on the taste buds! At first most of our “recipe taste testers” were a bit apprehensive with the combination of watermelon, basil, balsamic reduction and salt? Most often we were met with “really?” or “not so sure about that!” Let’s just say, the striking colors draws everyone to the salad and then once they taste it ~ they CAN’T get enough of it! We always brought the platter home empty with folks asking for more as well as the recipe.
So, here it is! It’s not rocket science by any stretch…but the key ingredient to making this salad simply pop in terms of taste is the Redmond Kosher Real Salt! The larger crystals of salt do amazing things to watermelon and literally make the flavor of the fruit just come to life! The balsamic reduction lends a hint of sweet yet savory flavor. The feta cheese is of course optional to make it completely #strictpaleo, however if you can find some organic goat feta cheese and can tolerate a little dairy, welcome it to the taste party your mouth will have eating this salad! Perfect for any get together since it is easily transportable too! Simply take sliced watermelon in a container, and the rest of the items with you! Once you get to your destination, arrange fruit and toppings and serve! #winning
watermelon basil salad
the prettiest and most delicious watermelon salad to arrive at any family BBQ
- 1 seedless watermelon
- Redmond Kosher Real Salt
- 3-5 basil leaves
- 1-2 tbl balsamic reduction*
- 2-3 tbl feta cheese (optional)
- Cut watermelon into slices. Catch a peek at the way we prefer to get the best results for even slices in the slide show below. Once in slices, use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes or simply cut into similar sized squares and arrange on a serving platter. If cutting out shapes, simply save the parts of the watermelon cut away that you’re not using for the salad. Great for smoothies, or simply just for snacking!
- Cut basil into thin strips and sprinkle over the top of the watermelon.
- If using feta cheese, sprinkle that on top as well.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with the Redmond Kosher Real Salt and drizzle with balsamic vinegar ~ stand back and wait for the crowds to arrive! * For balsamic reduction – simply measure 1 cup of high quality balsamic vinegar into a small sauce pan and bring to a slow simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, turn down to low and let it continue to simmer and reduce to about half. It will thicken up as it cools. Store in an airtight container.