We’ve enjoyed this tomato soup for years and years! It’s a recipe given to me by a fellow foodie friend that has a love for amazing food. Everything she makes is amazing and full of a love for food that you can taste in everything she makes. This recipe is no exception and she gave me her permission to add it to our blog with a few changes to make it paleo friendly!! So it finally got the paleo make-over this year so now it’s now paleo tomato soup
It took just a couple simple steps and seriously you can hardly tell the difference. We roast the red bell peppers and use our own homemade basil pesto instead of jarred varieties. We also use homemade bone broth, but in a pinch you can certainly use a good organic boxed variety since there are so many great ones available now.
This paleo tomato soup makes quite a bit, so if you plan on doubling it be sure to use a large stock pot! But most importantly, enjoy every single sip, because it’s going to have your taste buds asking for seconds and thirds!! Swirling some of our ARUGALA CHIMICHURRI on top is a must! Be sure to make some of our PITA CHIPS ahead of time so you can enjoy those with this soup, they are a perfect match!!
A few of our other favorite recipes:
- Whole30 & Paleo crispy ham & potato stacks
- grilled lemon pepper wedges
- chorizo patatas bravas breakfast bowls
Our favorite ingredients used in this recipe!
creamy Tuscan tomato soupCourse: Main DishDifficulty: Easy
a paleo version of the best creamy tomato basil soup you’re ever gonna need
3 tblsp avocado oil
1 large sweet onion, diced
42 oz canned tomatoes or 5-6 cups tomatoes, diced and seeded
3 cups chicken bone broth (sub veggie broth for vegan)
2 red bell peppers, roasted, seeded and sliced (or 16oz bottled roasted red peppers, drained)
1 can full fat coconut milk
1-1½ c basil pesto
1 tsp Redmond real salt (or more depending on taste preference)
pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a 6-8 quart pan and add onions, cook stirring occasionally until onions are a golden brown and have caramelize. Don’t skip this step, the caramelized onions add such a warm flavor to this soup.
- Once onions are caramelized, add tomatoes, bone broth and red peppers, reduce heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add pesto and puree with an immersion blender or in small batches in a blender. Stir in coconut milk, salt and pepper and adjust if necessary.
- Garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk or additional pesto, bacon bits (omit for plant-based Whole30 or Vegan) or even our crispy pita chips if you’re not currently doing a Whole30 or 21DSD.